The site, at 300 North 1st East, Green River, Wyoming, had previously been the city cemetery, which had been established in 1892. In 1926, a federal CWA project moved the bodies and old grave markers to the Riverview Cemetery just up the hill. In 1930 the town used the site as a park.During 1944 a Veteran’s Housing Site was built on the site, due to the return of the veterans. During the construction, several remains were found and re-interned at the now current Riverview Cemetery. The identity of the remains was unknown.
In 1978, during the construction of the new facility, twelve unknown graves were found. Again in 1983 during landscaping of the grounds revealed more graves and remains. This renewed the fear of a historic epidemic of smallpox and the re-introduction of the disease.
Since 1985 unexplained occurrences have been reported at the library. The Green River Library is listed on the famous list of the ghost and haunted places in Wyoming.
In 1989 “Ghosts on the Range: Eerie True Tales of Wyoming” by Debra D. Munn was published. Included in her book was the story of the Sweetwater County Library, titled “The Library Built over a Cemetery”. Ms. Munn was good enough to come to the library the following Halloween and do a reading from her book. Story has it that several loud noises were heard from the stage area and eager listeners reportedly wondered out-loud if the “ghosts” were upset about the reading.
In 1993 a “Ghost Log” was started to record the unusual happenings. As something unexplained happened it was written in the log. The log is available at the Circulation desk, but is not available for check out.
During pipeline construction in August of 1996 remains were unearthed just outside the library by the lower parking lot. Sweetwater County Coroner Dale S. Majhanovich said wood chips were found Tuesday by construction workers digging under North First East. Charlie Love, of the Western Wyoming Community College Archaeological Services Department, examined the find and determined that the bones were of two people. Two wooden coffins and their contents were within a couple feet of the pipeline that was being worked on and one coffin had actually been nicked when the line first went in. At least one of the wooden coffins was covered in felt with a small window. A brass plaque indicated the coffin was purchased a Beeman and Cashin Mercantile Co. of Evanston. No date was inscribed. It was determined one was a male about 45 years old and the other a female of about the same age. Both were in good health, at least one was Caucasian and both were about the same height The bodies were re-interred at the Riverview Cemetery.
This log is still currently being used.
The Sweetwater County Library System has reserves rights to all content. Do not copy or use in any way, any of the content without written permission form the host.
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. ^Top^
24 queries. 0.842 seconds.
Powered by WordPress with jd-nebula theme design by John Doe.