November 30th, 2009 at 2:42 pm (Articles)
The Internet is an amazing place, but it also provides us with so many resources that sometimes we just are overwhelmed. I too have been in those shoes where I just had so much information I felt like I was drowning. When this happen, just take a minute and reset your priorities.
Here is a little advice. Pick one person or family line at a time. This will simplify things from the get-go. Let’s say you are working on your great-grandfather, Moses Warren from Missouri. Luckily the Library has two Databases that will help you, Ancestry Library Edition and Heritage Quest. Both will provide census searches. This is always a great starting place. Just put in the first and last name, and if you have the information, the country, state, and approximate date. You may have to review several records depending on the specifics you were able to provide for your search.
If at this time you are not receiving the information that you are looking for, there are other internet sites that you might try. When I do presentations at the Library I always include what I call the Sample List. This is a listing of internet sites that I have had success with or that other genealogist have suggested.
The sites are as follows:
- About.com: http://genealogy.about.com/?once=true&
- Cyndi’s List of Genealogy: http://www.cyndislist.com/
- Ellis Island: http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/
- Family Search: http://www.familysearch.org/
- Genealogy Dictionary: http://www.genealogy.com/00000736.html
- Library Spot: http://www.libraryspot.com/genealogy.htm
- My Heritage.com: http://www.myheritage.com/genealogy
- National Archives: http://www.archives.gov/index.html
- NativeWeb: Tracing Your Roots: http://www.nativeweb.org/
- RootsWeb: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
- Scandinavian Records: http://www.nordicnotes.com/
- U. S. GenWeb: http://www.usgenweb.org/
- United Kingdom & Ireland: http://www.genuki.org.uk/
- WorldGen Web: http://www.worldgenweb.org/
I hope some of these will help you to continue with your search.